UN Conference on Climate Change COP17
28 November – 9 December 2011
Paradigm Change in Global Climate Policy
The SDC Network of Climate Change & Environment
Find more information about various topics and discussions on the SDC web-platform
Climate change and environment - Coping with and adapting to it
The impact of climate change has no geographical boundaries. It affects everyone, all over the world, and is particularly hard on those who derive their means of subsistence directly from nature. Climate change is one cause of poverty, famine and natural disasters.
This disturbance of the world’s climate is a major challenge for development actors, since it affects poor countries far more than prosperous ones. It is taking an increasingly heavy toll on development, and threatens the progress already made. It is for this reason that climate protection and the management of climate change are a growing preoccupation in the context of development cooperation.
||Forest and land use
Forest and land use measures have the potential to compensate many times over the current annual worldwide emissions of greenhouse gases by 2030. Such measures have a positive effect on the community, on the availability of water and on the stability of soil for agricultural use, at the same time enabling rural populations to satisfy their basic needs and earn additional income.
Modern energy services and efficient use of energy are an essential precondition for the optimisation of production processes and improvement in the living conditions of people worldwide. The development of renewable sources of energy and the promotion of energy efficiency can make a significant contribution to sustainable development as well as to climate protection.
||Vulnerability & Adaptation
The industrialised nations have the means required to adapt to the impact of climate change. The populations of developing countries on the other hand, who are more vulnerable, often lack the technical, financial and political instruments that would enable them to adapt the way they live to changing environmental conditions.
Desertification is not the desert advancing, but rather a haemorrhaging of the soil's vital nutrients to the point where they are totally exhausted. The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) speaks of "land degradation" to describe this phenomenon. Although Africa, Asia, and Latin America are worst hit by desertification, it should not be forgotten that all 5 continents are affected.
Additional Information and DocumentsDocuments
- Climat et developpement : Que fait la DDC ?
Un document de base, 13.01.2008
Download (PDF, 49 KB) : [de] [fr]
- Un seul monde
Disponible seulement en Suisse
No. 3/2009 : Changement climatique / Mozambique / Croissance de la population / Tanzanie-SIDA
Download (PDF, 2075 KB) : [de] [fr] [it]
- Santiago de Chile Diesel Particle Filter Program: A model case for cities of emerging countries
Diesel particle filters for the buses of Santiago de Chile
Download (PDF, 3019 KB) : [en]
- Factsheet Global Programme for Climate Change
Download (PDF, 191 KB) : [de] [en] [fr] [es]
- Climate and Development: A Double Dividend
Review of initial outcomes from the SDC Global Programme on Climate Change
Download (PDF, 2221 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
- New approaches in the vietnamese brick sector - partnerschip results
Asia Brief - August 2010
Download (PDF, 2852 KB) : [en]
- Factsheet Climat change
Download (PDF, 1301 KB) : [de] [en] [fr]
- Gastkommentar von Martin Dahinden in der NZZ zum Thema "Klimaschutz: Handeln statt nur verhandeln"
Download (PDF, 49 KB) : [de]
- Rede Martin Dahinden: Green Economy, ZHAW, Winterthur, 15.05.2012
Download (PDF, 170 KB) : [de]
- Global Programme Climate Change
- The increase in public development aid
- From Kyoto to Cancún
The 2009 Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen did not yield the expected results. It did, however...
- Cancún Conference
With the 2009 Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen still fresh in everyone’s memory, the 193 sign...
- Interview with Thomas Stocker
Articles and Press releases
- Switzerland and China are strengthening their cooperation on climate change and training
- Mercury Convention To Be Finalised in Geneva
- Better protection for persons displaced by natural disasters
- Paradigm Change in Global Climate Policy
- SDC to hold international conference on environmental disasters
- Swiss Climate Policy under close Examination by China
- Delhi Sustainable Development Summit