Official development assistance (ODA) is defined by the OECD as being the total financial flows that are
- from the official sector (Confederation, cantons and municipalities);
- promoting economic development and welfare of developing countries as their main objective;
- concessional in character (grants and loans at concessional terms);
- provided to countries and territories on the DAC List of ODA Recipients (2011-2013 : 148) and to multilateral development institutions as defined by the OECD.
SDC services and Switzerland’s development assistance: facts and figures
The Swiss Agency for Development and
Cooperation (SDC) provides humanitarian aid and longer-term development cooperation in the South and East. Its aims is pursued both through direct cooperation with the individual countries and
with international organizations like the United Nations.
Switzerland’s development cooperation is coordinated by the SDC in conjunction with the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).The International Cooperation Annual Report takes stock of the activities of both federal agencies and provides an overview of Swiss development assistance statistics.
development assistance and private assistance
In addition to the SDC and SECO, other federal offices, cantons and municipalities support projects and programmes in developing countries. All these government players contribute to Switzerland’s Official Development Assistance (ODA), while many private Swiss organizations also participate in development cooperation:
Development Assistance (ODA) in 2011
Official Development Assistance (ODA) and private donations by NGOs 2004-2011
Switzerland’s multilateral ODA 2004-2011
Geographical distribution of bilateral ODA 2004-2011
Swiss Official Development
Assistance compared with that of other countries
In 2011, Swiss Official Development Assistance accounted for 0.46% of Gross National Income (GNI). Switzerland ranks 11th among the 23 donor countries of the OECD’s Development Assistance Committee (DAC).
Informaciones complementarias y documentación
- Aide au développement de la Suisse: Statistiques 2011
Bajar (PDF, 2418 KB) : [de] [fr]
- Repercusiones económicas de la ayuda pública al desarrollo en Suiza
Bajar (PDF, 656 KB) : [fr]
- The increase in public development aid